Below you will find information for the 2020 Junior Lancer Baseball teams.
Tryouts are held in early August for the following years team (August 2019 for the spring 2020 team). We follow the Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken age cutoff of April 30th/May 1st, so your childs Jr. Lancer baseball age is their League age on May 1st of the League year. A child that is currently 9 but will turn 10 before May 1st, 2020 would be trying out for the 2020 10U team. Another way to put it - April 30th birthdays are always one league year older than May 1st birthdays for the same birth year.
Players must attend one of the tryouts to be eligible. It is recommended, although not required, that players attend both tryouts. The Dugout Club/Junior Lancer/LAFA evaluators present will work with the Head Coach select the team. Players should come dressed with baseball pants, hat and cleats, and bring their glove, and helmet and bat (if they have them). Coaches may have specific catchers drills, so catchers are advised to bring their gear.
Please Register for the tryout at the "Register Online" page. We like to see how many kids are coming, but it also allows us to contact just the select group of kids if a tryout is postponed or changed.
||Sunday, August 11, 9:30 - 11:30 AM
||Sunday, August 4, 3:00 - 4:30 PM
||Thursday, August 1, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
||Tuesday, August 13, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
||Monday, August 19, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
||Sunday, July 14th, 6-8 PM
||Friday, July 26th, 5-6 PM
*The 12U Tryout will be a combined 2020 12u Jr Lancers and 12u Cooperstown/All-Star team tryout.
||Toby Porter/Sean Perry
ABOUT THE JR LANCERS
The Jr. Lancers is a cost-effective Londonderry-based baseball program that fields teams from 9U to 13U. The Jr. Lancers adhere to a Londonderry-first model, where rosters are formed exclusively from Londonderry kids. Only if there is not enough kids in an age group will we allow out-of-towners. The teams play in the very competitive Elite Baseball League (EBL - www.elitebaseballleague.com), which is a Travel Baseball league, so there is some travel required (think southern NH, southeast Maine, and eastern Mass). Our teams do request as many home games as possible and host them at the LAFA complex.
The Jr Lancer program is meant to supplement the LAFA recreational baseball season, not replace it, allowing kids to play on Rec teams and qualify to play on the LAFA summer All-Star teams. Practices are during the winter (January - March) and are run by the coaches to work on baseball fundamentals and team strategy. Teams typically schedule 6-8 Sunday double-headers during April and May, with EBL playoffs in early June. The 13U schedule is slightly longer going into early July.
COST OF THE PROGRAM
Our program is run by the Londonderry Lancer Dugout Club which is a non-profit and therefore the teams are run at cost. For more information about the Lancer Dugout Club, go to https://www.lancersdugoutclub.org/.
For the 9u-12u teams, a typical tuition is between $600 and $800, and varies depending on factors such as :
- Number of kids rostered on the team
- Total cost of winter workouts (1 or 2 practices per week, field choices, etc)
- Participation in a Spring Tournament
* New for 2020 - starting this year the EBL is doing away with "Team Registration Fees" and moving to "Player Registration Fees". This is a $99 per player fee. All kids that are Rostered on an EBL team must Register with the EBL and pay the Registration fee (either pay in-full, or 3 installments). The Team Expense (and thus team tuition) will be reduced by the Team Registration amount.
Payments (expected schedule for 9u - 12u)
- First payment ($250) is due by Sept. 30th.
- Second payment ($250) is due by Jan. 21st.
- Balance is due by Mar. 21st.
- EBL Registration Fee will be due by TBD.
Uniform costs are separate from the tuition, and the required items (jersey, hat, pants, practice t-shirt) run about $90-$100.
* New for 2020 - I/We were hoping to reuse current jerseys this year, however the actual jersey is discontinued, so we'll have to see on a team-by-team basis if that is possible due to out-growing and/or new players and actual availability of the jersey sizes.
The 13u team has higher expenses (more games and thus more game balls and higher ump costs, etc) and therefore the tuition is expected in the $1200 - $1300 range depending on number of kids, games, and tournaments. The 13U team also has a slightly different payment schedule (4 payments instead of 3).
* New for 2020 - Like above, there will be a $99 per player EBL "Player Registration Fee".
AGREEMENT/CODE OF CONDUCT
* New for 2020 - All kids (and parents/guardians) that join a Jr Lancer team will be required to sign an Roster Agreement (we are not calling it a 'contract') and also a "Player Code of Conduct".
In general the Jr Lancer team timeline is as follows:
August : Tryouts for the following spring season (in August, 2018 tryout is for the 2019 spring season)
September - October : Optional fall league (rare) and/or fall practices (both at coaches discretion)
November - December : Uniform fittings (if needed), online store orders
January - March : Winter Practices, usually twice per week, Sunday and weeknight. Days/times should stay constant.
For the past 4-5 years we've been at the NH Sportsplex in Bedford, but that is subject to change.
April - May : EBL Season (8 weekends) - 6-8 Sunday double-headers, weather permitting.
June (early) : EBL Playoffs - for teams that don't make the primary playoffs, they offer secondary playoffs.
April - June : EBL Season (12 weekends) - ~16-18 Saturday and/or Sunday double-headers, weather permitting.
July (early) : EBL Playoffs - for teams that don't make the primary playoffs, they offer secondary playoffs.
Any more questions about the program please don't hesitate to contact me.
Jr Lancer Program Coordinator